The campanula, also known as the bellflower, originated from southern Europe. It is widely cultivated in North America and other European Countries. It is known as one of the most beautiful flowers with a unique shape that is similar to a bell. There is a myth regarding the other name of the flower which is ‘Venus Looking Glass’. The story tells of a mirror owned by Venus where she can see to find beautiful images. She sent cupid to find it when she had lost it. Cupid, finding it, had dropped it and the glass shattered into pieces that fell to the ground. In turn, campanulas sprouted from where the pieces fell.
Another history connected to this flower is a folkloric one. It is said that fairies planted these blooms to trap people on their path. This is especially a trap to capture children. Although it is not scientifically proven, a lot of people believe in different origins of the flower. Although everything seemed to connect to the fact that these blooms are beautiful to be seen as something that came out of this world.
The name campanula came from the Latin word ‘Campanula’ which means ‘bell’. The more common name of the flower is bell flower. It is also known as the ‘Venus Looking Glass’ based on a myth. The flower is mostly used to convey a feeling of gratitude. There are many meanings attached to this plant. It is also found as a symbol of affection, constancy and everlasting love. A perfect romantic flower to give someone you will treasure for the rest of your life. They are also known to symbolize delicacy and humility. The flower itself is known to be a perfect choice in traditional bouquets. Although they can also be perfect as potted plants which you decorate your house or office with. Or give as a gift to someone important.
Here are some facts about the flower that you should take note of:
- Campanula is Latin for Bell.
- It is categorized in the Campanulaceae Family.
- It has over 500 species and subspecies.
- The amount of sun it needs would depend on the climate it lives.
- They generally have five petals.
- They are perennial flowers
- It is a character from the story Rapunzel from the Grimm’s Fairytale.
- You can eat its leaves as spinach or as a substitution for parsnip.
- They are a low maintenance plant.
A lot of florists find the Campanula as a favorite flower. This is because it is a low maintenance plant and can be easily taken care of, even if you are a beginner. Here are some care tips regarding the growing and planting of campanulas:
- You should plant them in places where there is full sunlight. Make sure that you remove anything that could create shades around them or block the sun, like tall plants and other structures.
- The soil should be well-drained, moist and aerated. Touch the top layer and only water it when it is dry. You have to make sure that the soil does not dry out completely.
- Place organic mulch around your plants. This would help the soil retain water and prevents weeds from growing. Although the campanula does not need it, it would help create a better environment for them to grow in. Do not press the mulch against the plants stem.
- Make sure you prune wilting or faded blooms to make sure that the flowers would regrow.
- You should make sure to inspect your plants regularly. If you find any abnormalities, such as powdery mildew which is a fuzzy white coating on leaves, wilting or even discoloration, you should make sure to pluck it out to prevent it from spreading to the other blooms.
- You can apply a horticultural oil to plants which have severe diseases to help them. Place it only on their surfaces.
- You should make sure to remove snails and other common pests. You should pluck them by hand to make sure you do not damage the campanulas. To prevent pests to gather, you should irrigate the soil directly and not overhead.
- You should avoid horticultural oil when the temperature is above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
The campanula is one of the easiest plants to take care of. This is why it is a favorite among florists. Even if you have just begun your dream of being a gardener, staring with campanulas is a good idea. They do not need much caring and their blooms are beautiful and worth it. Make sure to follow the tips given above to have full blooms. You can always ask a local florist for advice regarding the care of gardening of campanulas. These flowers are perfect for floral arrangements because of their vibrant hues.
You need to have patience and determination when planting any type of flower. Nothing grows overnight and most gardeners will tell you that in order to have great blooms, you need to shower your plants with effort. If you want to start with something easy, ask your florist for more low maintenance plants but the campanula is already a perfect start for any beginner. You do not need to watch it every day, but just make sure it has enough water and sun. Avoiding pests and other problems is also very easy to do and can easily be done by anyone, even those who do not have a background in gardening.